For the sauce:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
2 celery sticks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
500g carton of passata
500ml chicken stock or 1 chicken
stock cube dissolved in 500ml hot water
2tbsp chopped parsley
2 tins cannellini beans
For the meatballs:
1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp paprika
500g lean minced turkey
4 tbsp porridge oats
1 tbsp sundried tomato paste
1 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
Cabbage/ Kale/ broccoli to serve
1. Make the sauce: Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan with a lid, then tip in the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and stir well. Cover the pan and cook over a medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring every now and then.
2. Pour in the passata and stock, cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, heat the oil and fry off the garlic and paprika for 1-2 minutes to soften.
4. Tip the mixture into a large bowl with the turkey mince. Add the oats, tomato paste, tamari, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper, and mix in with your hands. Lightly shape into 16 meatballs about the size of a golf ball.
5. Rub a non-stick pan with a little oil and gently cook the meatballs until they take on a little colour.
6. Give the sauce a stir, then add the meatballs, the cannellini beans and parsley. Cover and cook for 10 mins until they are cooked through and the vegetables in the sauce are tender.
7. Serve with a side of steamed vegetables.